The Sikaplan® VOC gas barrier range of products provide waterproofing, ground gas and VOC protection all in one system. Comprising a pre-applied bonded membrane, post-applied adhered membrane and loose-laid membrane for both ground-level and below-ground applications.
Sikaplan®-1651 Loose VOC Gas Barrier
A loose laid VOC Gas Barrier which has exceptionally high resistance to ground gas and VOCs.
Sikaplan®-1651 Loose VOC Gas Barrier is typically used for the gas and waterproofing of ground-level structures where harmful ground gases are anticipated.
Sikaplan®-1652 Bonded VOC Gas Barrier
A pre-applied fully-bonded waterproofing membrane incorporating the Sikaplan®-1651 VOC Gas Barrier and a heavy-duty virgin polypropylene geotextile.
The geotextile is laminated to the membrane to provide a dual function; protecting the membrane from damage, and providing an integrated bond to poured concrete, ensuring a fully-bonded waterproofing barrier which has exceptionally high resistance to ground gas and VOCs.
Sikaplan®-1652 Bonded VOC Gas Barrier is used for the gas and waterproofing of underground structures where harmful ground gases are anticipated.
Sikaplan®-1653 Adhered VOC Gas Barrier
A self-adhesive version of the Sikaplan® VOC Gas Barrier. It is composed of Sikaplan®-1651 VOC Gas Barrier with a self-adhesive bitumen surface finish covered by a protective release film.
Sikaplan®-1653 Adhered VOC Gas Barrier is used for the gas and waterproofing of underground structures where harmful ground gases are anticipated, as a post-applied bonded membrane.
Standards and approvals
Sikaplan® VOC Gas Barriers are extensively tested to withstand the most aggressive of environments, and are approved to the standards below.
- CIRIA C748 – Guidance on the use of plastic membranes as VOC vapour barriers
- BS 8485:2015 + A1:2019 – Code of practice for the design of protective measures for methane and carbon dioxide ground gases for new buildings.
- BR211 (2015) – Radon: Protective measures for new buildings.
- Declaration of Performance (DoP)to EN 13967:2012.
- BBA certificate number 19/5681.
All the products in this range must be welded to provide a watertight and gas-resistant seal. Welding is an essential requirement because hydrocarbons can affect the long-term performance of butyl and bitumen tapes.
In all cases, the installation of Sikaplan® VOC Gas Barrier membranes should be completed by a suitably qualified and accredited installer (NVQ level 2) and independently validated in accordance with CIRIA C735:2014.
If you would like us to recommend a specialist contractor, get in touch by calling 0800 292 2572 or by emailing email@example.com.
Available system components and accessories
- Sikaplan®-1651 VOC External and Internal Corners – Available in a 495mm x 495mm internal and external corners.
- Sikaplan®-1652 VOC Edge Strip – 1m wide strip of Sikaplan®- 1652 Bonded VOC Gas Barrier for use on edges and kicker details to facilitate the transition from horizontal to vertical application. Used in conjunction with the corner units.
- Sikaplan®-1652 VOC Weld Strip – As an optional strip for welding membranes.
- Sikadur®-32 – Gas-resistant epoxy resin for sealing over pile heads.
- Sika® Drain 850 Geo – A 2.44m wide heavy-duty drainage and protection sheet to safeguard the membrane and provide a drainage pathway to a maintainable land drain, alleviating pore water pressure on the structure.
- Sika® BentoShield® Paste – Water-resistant bentonite detailing compound, for use around penetrations and perforations.
- Sika® BituSeal Primer – To prime substrate prior to application of the Sikaplan®-1653 Adhered VOC Gas Barrier.